Consumer tastes are constantly evolving and, as a result, innovation is a key component of Ornua’s growth strategy, with innovation teams supporting both Ornua Foods and Ornua Ingredients.
To support the global reach of many of Ornua’s retail partners and manufacturing and foodservice customers, Ornua Ingredients’ innovation teams are based in innovation centres in Ireland and across production facilities in Saudi Arabia, Spain, the UK and the US. The teams work collaboratively with member suppliers, customers and industry partners to meet the ever-changing needs of consumers in markets all over the world.
- In 2017, Ornua Ingredients North America developed a new premium flavour and clean label technologies for processed cheese in the frozen entree and snack categories.
- Ornua’s innovation capability was further strengthened with the opening of a new innovation centre in CoreFX ingredients in 2017. Central to the CoreFX business is the ability to design ingredients specific to customer requirements. The innovation centre houses a research and development lab and a state-of-the-art test kitchen to fulfil these needs.
- In 2016, an enhanced range of fat filled milk powders was developed for the Middle East and African markets. These powders continue to be a strong growth area, with growth underpinned by innovation efforts to meet the specific sensory and functional needs of individual brand owners and industrial customers.
- Ornua Saudi Arabia’s production facility uses pioneering technology developed by Ornua and Teagasc to produce a range of bespoke fresh white cheese for the increasingly sophisticated bakery sector, retail delis and foodservice customers. The technology allows Irish milk ingredients to be recombined for fresh white cheese production, providing a direct route to market and value for Irish dairy.
- 2016 saw the launch of the Palatina Cheese range using TSC Technology in the UK and Middle East. In 2017, this range extended beyond grated and deli block to include a sliced range and feta salad cheese.
- In 2016, a full range of EasiYo natural and flavoured yogurt mixes were launched for the UK and European markets. They use specially formulated Irish dairy powders blended and packed in a new dedicated blending facility in Ornua Nutrition Ingredients UK.