November 28, 2017
Ornua were delighted to sponsor the Kerrygold Listowel Food Fair Cheese Competition 2017 at the Listowel Food Fair which took place in early November. The aim of this competition is to provide positive recognition to cheese producers for their achievements in flavour, aroma, texture, and appearance of their product.
The overall cheese winner for 2017 was Shane O’Leary who won a prize fund of €1,000 for his Cordal Goats Cheese – Garlic and Thyme. There were 5 category winners who were each awarded €200.
This year’s winners will have their product stocked by Garveys Supervalu outlets for a period of 12 months.
The winners’ products formed part of the 7 course taster menu at the Food Producers’ Celebratory Dinner, when the prizes were awarded on Friday November 10th. Tom Mulvihill sat on the judging panel and awarded the prizes on behalf of Ornua to the winners.
5 CATEGORY WINNERS
- Farmstead: Coolea Farmhouse – Coolea Matured (Dicky Willems)
- Blue Mould and Unripened: Bluebell Falls – Bluebell Original Goats Cheese (Victor O’Sullivan)
- Marinated and Smoked: Jim O’ Brien – Greek Style Feta (Jim O’Brien)
- Sheep & Goats Milk: Cooleeney Farm – Gortnamona (Breda Maher)
- Cheddar Category: Bo Rua – Natural Cheddar (Norma & Tom Dineen)